Other Names: Beef Pattie
Serving Size: About 12-14 Meat pies
- MEAT: Cook ground meat, 1 bullion cube, 1/2 of chopped onion, and 1/2 of spices (1/4 teaspoon each of curry and black pepper) on medium high heat until browned. Drain off oily fat if needed.
- Add the other 1/2 of onion, 1/2 can of diced tomato or 1 fresh. Add the other 1/4 teaspoon of curry and black pepper. Add 2 more bullion cubes. Cook on low heat for 15 minutes.
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 400 degrees F.
- PIE DOUGH: In large bowl mix flour and baking powder. Rub melted margarine into flour with a fork until it looks like bread crumbs. Make a well in the center and pour in 1-1/2 cups of water. Fold in the flour to form a paste and then a dough. Add water 1/4 cup at a time if needed to get a dough consistency. Add a little flour if necessary and knead dough. To knead, fold dough over and mush with fists and repeat several times.
- Take handfuls of dough to make 12 to 14 small balls. Roll out one into an OVAL shape on floured surface, add about 2 regular spoons of the meat mixture, and dampen edges with water or egg glaze. Fold dough in half over the meat mixture to make a half oval shape and seal with fork by pressing FLOURED fork down along edge. Repeat for each ball of dough until you have 12 to 14 meat pies.
- Place meat pies on 2 cookie sheets and brush tops with the egg glaze. Bake on cookie sheet 40 minutes total at 400 degrees F. To save time bake both cookie sheets at once and place one on a high rack and the other on a low rack. Switch racks after 20 minutes so they both bake evenly.